Lion’s Mane – The Mushroom for the Brain
Hericium erinaceus (popularly known as Lion’s Mane, due to its appearance) is a type of edible mushroom found on hardwoods in North America, Asia and Europe.
This mushroom has astounding mental regenerative abilities, unlike any other mushroom. This makes it a potent nootropic for the enhancement of the mind.
It possesses the ability to stimulate the growth of neurons in the astrocytes by increasing NGF mRNA expression. In one study in particular, it found in mice that the hippocampus (our main long-term memory storehouse) was particularly influenced (1).*
Lion’s Mane Mushroom and the Brain
- Nerve Growth Factors (NGF), i.e. stimulates the growth of neurons (1)(2)(4)(5)*
- Helps repair the brain from physical damage (3)(5)(6)*
- Helps prevent or slow age-related mental degradation(5)*
- Has mood regulating effects from the NGF and other non-NGF factors (4)*
- Has been shown to increase ‘curiosity’ of objects in the world in animal studies*
Really important to realize is that the effects of this nootropic herb have been found to level off particularly fast after use is stopped (around 2-4 weeks) (1).*
To gain the potential benefits, it is therefore recommended that consumption of Lion’s Mane takes place every day. The culinary use of Lion’s Mane by the Chinese shows that this is a safe habit to practice.
And Many More Benefits
But this mushroom isn’t just good for the mind. Consumption of this mushroom, whether in whole form or as an extract, has been shown to potentially provide the following benefits.
- Promotes cellular apoptosis (4)(7)(8)(9)(10)*
- Provides a cascade of nutrients (11)(12)(13)*
- Anti-fatigue properties (14)*
- High antioxidant containing as all mushrooms are (13)*
- 20% protein by volume
- Wound healing abilities when applied topically (12)(15)*
- Gastrointestinal protective effects (4)(16)(17)*
- Anti-inflammatory (5)(18)*
Compliments of North American Reishi/Nammex
https://lostempireherbs.comTwo Variations to Choose From
We’re happy to offer not just one type of Lion’s Mane, but two…
Decide which is best for you and scroll back up and select the appropriate option from the two choices.
Organic Lion’s Mane 1:1 Water Extract
Our Lion’s Mane is a 1:1 water extraction of real lion’s mane mushrooms, grown on wood in greenhouses with natural light, fresh air and using organic methods. (Essentially, this is the full fruiting bodies with minimal processing.)
Our lion’s mane is NOT a mycelium grown on grain substrate. It is guaranteed to have at least 25% beta glucans.
The recommended dosage is 2-5 grams per day. This is approximately ½ teaspoon to 1 tsp twice daily. As a mushroom, it is safe to use even in higher doses too.
Organic Lion’s Mane 8:1 Dual Extract
According to at least one paper, an alcohol extract may be best to bring out the NGF activity of Lion’s Mane. (1) But other research disagrees with this. The science around lion’s mane mushroom is still in it’s infancy.
Still, that’s why we’ve made this dual extracted (meaning with both alcohol and water) lion’s mane available. Triterpenes, including the hericenones and erinacines, are known to extract better in alcohol. That’s not to say that our other extract isn’t helpful, just that this one MAY be better, especially for the neurological benefits.
In addition to using both alcohol and water, this is an 8:1 extract meaning it is eight times as powerful. Of course, it is started with the same quality, organic real lion’s mane mushrooms, and not mycelium.
A smaller dose of 1 to 2 grams, or approximately ¼ to ½ tsp per day, is recommended.
Both extracts are the same price, but the size is different. The 1:1 is 100 grams, while the 8:1 is a smaller bag of 30 grams.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.