Lion’s Mane – The Mushroom for the Brain
Hericium erinaceus (popularly known as Lion’s Mane, due to its appearance) is a type of edible mushroom found on hardwoods in North America, Asia and Europe.
This mushroom has astounding mental regenerative abilities, unlike any other mushroom. This makes it a potent nootropic for the enhancement of the mind.
It possesses the ability to stimulate the growth of neurons in the astrocytes by increasing NGF mRNA expression. In one study in particular, it found in mice that the hippocampus (our main long-term memory storehouse) was particularly influenced (1).*
It can even look like a brain, all white matter!
It appears as cascading hairs on a ball-like hardcore, much like the back of a Lion’s head. It has long been used in traditional Chinese medicine for immunity and to improve digestion.
Lion’s Mane Mushroom and the Brain
- Nerve Growth Factors (NGF), i.e. stimulates the growth of neurons (1)(2)(4)(5)*
- Helps repair the brain from physical damage (3)(5)(6)*
- Helps prevent or slow age-related mental degradation(5)*
- Has mood-regulating effects from the NGF and other non-NGF factors (4)*
- It has been shown to increase ‘curiosity’ of objects in the world in animal studies*
Important to realize is that the effects of this nootropic herb have been found to level off particularly fast after use is stopped (around 2-4 weeks) (1).*
To gain the potential benefits, it is therefore recommended that the consumption of Lion’s Mane mushroom extract takes place every day. The culinary use of Lion’s Mane by the Chinese shows that this is a safe habit to practice.
And Many More Benefits
But Lion’s Mane mushroom extract isn’t just good for the mind. Consumption of this mushroom, whether in the whole form or as an extract, has been shown to provide the following benefits potentially.
- Promotes cellular apoptosis (4)(7)(8)(9)(10)*
- Provides a cascade of nutrients (11)(12)(13)*
- Anti-fatigue properties (14)*
- High antioxidant containing as all mushrooms are (13)*
- 20% protein by volume
- Helps alleviate injury (12)(15)*
- Gastrointestinal protective effects (4)(16)(17)*
- Supports optimal immune response (5)(18)*
Organic Lion’s Mane 8:1 Dual Extract
According to at least one paper, an alcohol extract may be best to bring out the NGF activity of Lion’s Mane. (1) But other research disagrees with this. The science around lion’s mane mushroom is still in it’s infancy.
Still, we’ve made this dual extracted (meaning with both alcohol and water) lion’s mane available. Terpenes, including the hericenones and erinacines, are known to extract better in alcohol. That’s not to say that our other extract isn’t helpful, just that this one MAY be better, especially for the neurological benefits.
In addition to using both alcohol and water, this is an 8:1 extract meaning it is eight times as powerful. Of course, it is started with the same quality, organic real lion’s mane mushrooms, and not mycelium.
A smaller dose of 1 to 2 grams, or approximately ¼ to ½ tsp per day, is recommended.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.