Lion’s Mane – The Mushroom for the Brain
Hericium erinaceus (popularly known as Lion’s Mane, due to its appearance) is a type of edible mushroom found on hardwoods in North America, Asia and Europe.
This mushroom has astounding mental regenerative abilities, unlike any other mushroom. This makes it a potent nootropic for the enhancement of the mind.
It possesses the ability to stimulate the growth of neurons in the astrocytes by increasing NGF mRNA expression. In one study in particular, it found in mice that the hippocampus (our main long-term memory storehouse) was particularly influenced (1).*
It appears as cascading hairs on a ball-like hard core, much like the back of a Lion’s head. It has long been used in traditional Chinese medicine for immunity and to improve digestion.
Lion’s Mane Mushroom and the Brain
- Nerve Growth Factors (NGF), i.e. stimulates the growth of neurons (1)(2)(4)(5)*
- Helps repair the brain from physical damage (3)(5)(6)*
- Helps prevent or slow age-related mental degradation(5)*
- Has mood regulating effects from the NGF and other non-NGF factors (4)*
- Has been shown to increase ‘curiosity’ of objects in the world in animal studies*
Really important to realize is that the effects of this nootropic herb have been found to level off particularly fast after use is stopped (around 2-4 weeks) (1).*
To gain the potential benefits, it is therefore recommended that consumption of Lion’s Mane takes place every day. The culinary use of Lion’s Mane by the Chinese shows that this is a safe habit to practice.
And Many More Benefits
But this mushroom isn’t just good for the mind. Consumption of this mushroom, whether in whole form or as an extract, has been shown to potentially provide the following benefits.
- Promotes cellular apoptosis (4)(7)(8)(9)(10)*
- Provides a cascade of nutrients (11)(12)(13)*
- Anti-fatigue properties (14)*
- High antioxidant containing as all mushrooms are (13)*
- 20% protein by volume
- Wound healing abilities when applied topically (12)(15)*
- Gastrointestinal protective effects (4)(16)(17)*
- Anti-inflammatory (5)(18)*
Organic Lion’s Mane 1:1 Water Extract
Our Lion’s Mane is a 1:1 water extraction of real lion’s mane mushrooms, grown on wood in greenhouses with natural light, fresh air and using organic methods.
Our lion’s mane is NOT a mycelium grown on grain substrate. It is guaranteed to have at least 25% beta glucans.